Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I recently made homemade laundry detergent for the first time.  It was easy, quick, and cheap to make!  I'll show the basic recipe and then discuss why I'll be using a different recipe in the future.

I didn't have a Fels Naptha bar for the picture

1 Fels Naptha bar (I found it at Walmart with laundry detergents for 97 cents)
1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup Borax

Grate the Fels Naptha bar and then dissolve in 1 quart boiling water.  Add the Washing Soda and Borax.  Make sure it looks really dissolved.  Add 1 gallon hot water, maybe a little more.  Use 1/8 - 1/4 cup with each load in washer.  I just estimate in that green scoop you see in the picture.

Now, most recipes I found on the web say to mix with 2 gallons of hot water and use 1/2 cup with each load.  I'm sure that works well, maybe even better, but I had this great container to keep it in that wouldn't hold that much water.  So, I added hot water to fill my container, and I use less of the recipe with each load.

I've been using this for a few weeks, and everything gets as clean as my former box of Tide did.  You can add a few drops of essential oils if you want a certain smell to your clothes.  I'm fine without it.

Here's why I'll be trying a new recipe next time:
I must have some kind of allergy to the Fels Naptha.  I noticed when I was grating it, that my lips and tongue were stinging.  Now, everytime I use it to wash, my tongue stings.  Weird, huh?  I have always added Borax to my wash, so it's not that.  And, the washing soda doesn't seem to bother me.  It must be the Fels Naptha.

Here's my solution:
I'm too frugal to dump this out and not use it.  So, I get my laundry and washer all ready, then I hold my breath while I scoop the detergent out and put it in the washer.  I don't let my breath out until everything is closed up.  So, I have found that if I don't inhale it, I'm okay.  (I forgot that when I took the pictures though, ugh.)

I've never read of anyone else having this reaction, so try it!  My next try will be with an Ivory bar or maybe with Dawn.  I've read good things about using these too.

Leave me a comment if you try it or if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment