Saturday, October 20, 2012

Homemade Soap

I finally got around to making homemade soap!  I've read and read about making soap, mainly about safety concerns as soap-making requires the use of sodium hydroxide (lye).  I found a recipe and figured out how much of my additives to add and made Honey Oatmeal Goatmilk Soap last weekend.  I wanted to make this kind because the ingredients are beneficial to the skin and especially for sensitive skin.

Remember the soapbox from a previous post...








I thought they turned out really well, although they are rough around the edges.  Next time, I plan to make round soaps in PVC pipes.  This recipe contains tallow, local goat milk, olive oil, coconut oil, sodium hydroxide, oats, and honey.  The oats should give some light exfoliation properties.

This was very exciting to me that it turned out so well! I hope to post future soap-making ventures later on.  I already have an order for 10 bars for someone to give as Christmas gifts, so thankfully this made 25 bars.  They will sit and cure for 4-6 weeks now, so they'll be ready the week of Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment